Friday, October 7, 2011

B'ham bound

Last Friday morning we headed to Birmingham for the weekend for me to go to the Women's Conference, Recreate, at Church of the Highlands.  It was a jam packed, fun filled weekend.  When we got there we made our first pit stop for some lunch at my ALL TIME FAVORITE restaurant in B'ham where I get the EXACT same meal every. single. time. I. go.  :)  Oh, how I miss the restuarants in this city.

My crazy Android phone obviously didn't feel the need to take the whole picture,
but hey, it got the name for you!! ;)

After lunch, we headed to Chalkville Elementary, where I taught for the 5 years of living in B'ham.  It was WONDERFUL to see all of my long lost sweet friends I used to work with.  I made life long relationships there that I am so thankful for.  Hampton LOVED every bit of attention he got that day from every female that spotted him.  He got lots of sugar and oooh's and ahhh's all day!  The only problem with Chalkville is that it's SO big, we didn't have enough time to see everyone and sure didn't have enough time to sit and chat like I would have loved to.  Good news is, I will never be able to visit B'ham without going to Chalkville so there will definitely be a next time!!  Chalkville and Church of the Highlands were the two hardest things to leave in B'ham and I still miss them both dearly.


Late that afternoon we went to another favorite hot spot, Billy's, and enjoyed the cool, fall B'ham weather and sat outside.  It was yummy as always and felt awesome outside.  Daniel and I relaxed and reminisced about our time in B'ham.  It was a nice, relaxing dinner (for once!) 




After dinner, Daniel and Hampton, dropped me off at the Highlands for my first two sessions of the weekend.  It lasted till 9 with a fun little after party.  One of my dear, sweet friends Emily works at the church so we got to hang out all weekend, which was a plus!


Really cool ribbon dancers at the opening of the conference

The next morning we took some back roads to go to the church and found this dandy little street sign that of course I thought was cool enough to stop and make my darling hubby take a picture of at 8:20 in the morning. :)  I bet Hampton will think it's pretty cool too one day (at least I hope) and I can tell him the story of how it was his very first time to the big city of B'ham and how we happened to stumble across it. ;)


The conference was an amazing and unforgettable experience.  God's presence was felt and I was reminded of what a mighty and powerful God we serve.  I am so thankful he gave me the opportunity to go and worship Him in an environment full of His love and glory all weekend.  The speakers were phenomenal, the worship was unexplainable, and I am already looking forward to next year's conference.  If you or someone you know might be interested you can find information and go ahead and register at http://churchofthehighlands.com/recreate/.  You will not regret your decision, I promise!!


Daniel and Hampton picked me up at the end of the day around 4:45.  I couldn't wait to hear all about their daddy and son day together.  It was the first time and I knew Daniel was excited.  They had a great day!  They went to Bass Pro Shop in Leeds and no ambulance or Dr. had to be called for anything so I was relieved! ha!  I think it's safe to say Daniel learned some things about single parenting and just how fast your day goes having a 4 month old. ;)  My next restaurant pick was yummy Cocina Superior for dinner.  Did I mention I gained approximately 8 pounds while on this weekend getaway?!  Nonetheless, it was oh so delicious just as I had remembered.  The weekend was almost already over before we knew it. :(



The next morning we went to church at the Highlands then met some of the best friends a girl could ask for at Jim and Nick's for lunch with all of their itty bitty's and significant others (of course they weren't cool enough to be in the pic and they had to be the photographers, anyways). 

From left to right:  Brooke and Perry (2 1/2), Leslie and Lily (3 months), Me and Hampton (4 months), Emily and Eli (4 months).  And no we did not plan our pregnancies together, the Lord just worked it out that way and Brooke didn't get the memo to wait until June or July 2011 to have Perry, but we love them both the same!! :)  We had an awesome lunch catching up with one another and meeting all the babies.  It was such a fun and memorable day for sure and already can't wait until the next time!  I love and miss you girls!!


On our way back, another special friend, met me for a very QUICK hug, hello, and good-bye.  We both couldn't let me leave B'ham without seeing her so we opted to meet in the Arby's parking lot off of I 65.  Literally, I got to see her for 12 minutes.  :(  Not only was my weekend already slam full, she had other obligations herself.  So, we made do and at least I got to see her.  Even if it was for 12 minutes.  BUT, we're planning ahead next time so we can make it a little bit longer than a 12 minute chat and I can't wait.  I miss and love you, Beth!

Like I said previously, it was a very, VERY short and packed weekend so I didn't get to do everything or see everyone I would have liked to, but there will be many more trips in the future that hopefully will allow those things.  And until next time, I will live off of my most recent, sweet memories of good 'ole B'ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment